Materials Science Minor
The departments of Chemistry, Physics, and Engineering Sciences offer the minor in Materials Science, which can be combined with majors in any of the three areas. For advice, contact the chair of Engineering Sciences, Professor Erland Schulson.
Chemistry (2 courses)
- CHEM 5-6: General Chemistry
Physics (2 courses)
- PHYS 13: Introductory Physics I
- PHYS 14: Introductory Physics II
Core Course (1 course)
- ENGS 24: Science of Materials
Required Course (choose 1 course)
- PHYS 76: Methods of Experimental Physics
- ENGS 133: Methods of Materials Characterization
Electives (choose 2 courses, each from a different group)
- Group 1
- ENGS 131: Science of Solid State Materials
- PHYS 73: Introductory Condensed Matter Physics
- Group 2
- CHEM 108: Chemistry of Macromolecules: Physical Properties and Characterization
- CHEM 109: Chemistry of Macromolecules: Synthesis and Characterization
- Group 3
Note: If ENGS 137 is taken as a general requirement, then at least one elective must be taken from outside the Engineering Sciences department.
Satisfactory completion of the minor requires a grade point average of 2.0 in the courses suitable for satisfying the minor.