Charles R. Sullivan
Associate Professor of Engineering
Associate Professor of Engineering1-603-646-2851
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Princeton University 1987
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California Berkeley 1996
Power electronics; electromagnetic design of power electronics components; micro-fabricated magnetic components; nanocomposite magnetic materials; energy efficiency and renewable energy
Current Research Projects
- High power density magnetic components
- Microfabricated magnetic components using nanomaterials
- Nanostructured magnetic materials
- Passive high-frequency power components
- ENGS 51: Dynamic Modeling of Technological, Social, and Resource Systems
- ENGS 125: Power Electronics and Electromechanical Energy Conversion
- ENGG 173: Energy Utilization
- A. J. Stratakos, C.R. Sullivan, S.R. Sanders, and R.W. Brodersen. "High-Efficiency Low-Voltage DC-DC Conversion for portable applications," in Low-Voltage/Low-Power Integrated Circuits and Systems: Low-Voltage Mixed-Signal Circuits, Edgar Sanchez-Sinencio and Andreas Andreou, Eds. IEEE Press, 1999.
- A. J. Stratakos, C.R. Sullivan, S.R. Sanders. "DC Power Supply Design in Portable Systems," in Low Power Digital CMOS Design, A.P. Chandrakasan and R.W. Brodersen, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1995.
- Sigma Xi, 2001
- IEEE Power Electronics Society Prize Paper Award, 2000
- National Science Foundation CAREER award, 1999
- "Voltage converter with coupled inductive windings, and associated methods." A.M. Schultz and C.R. Sullivan. U.S. Patent No. 6,362,986, 2002.
- "Digital Voltage Regulator Using Current Control." A.J. Burstein, D.B. Lidsky, A.J. Stratakos, C.R. Sullivan, and W. Clark. U.S. Patent No. 6,268,716, 2001.
- "Circuit for Dimming Compact Fluorescent Lamps." C.R. Sullivan, S.R. Jurell, and D.G. Luchaco. U.S. Patent No. 5,173,643, 1993.
- "Circuit and Method for Improved Dimming of Gas Discharge Lamps." C.R. Sullivan, J.S. Spira, D.G. Luchaco, and S.R. Jurell, and E.R. Motto. U.S. Patent No. 5,041,763, 1992.
- "Circuit for Dimming Gas Discharge Lamps Without Introducing Striations." C.R. Sullivan, S.R. Jurell, and D.G. Luchaco. U.S. Patent No. 5,001,386, 1992.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), member
- Transactions on Power Electronics, Associate Editor
- Power Electronics Society, Member at Large, Administrative Committee
- Industry Applications Society, Awards Chair, Power Electronics Devices and Components Committee
- Magnetics Society, Industrial Electronics Society
The ‘Future Is Bright’ for Residential Solar
April 7, 2013
Tesla Tech Fair celebrates innovation
April 5, 2013
Dartmouth Awarded Clean Energy Technologies Grants
July 22, 2010
$30B for Small Biz
February 2, 2010
Dartmouth engineers develop new power line de-icing system
July 1, 2009
Minimize Winding Losses in High-Frequency Inductors
Power Electronics (cover story)
July 1, 2008
2008 Formula Hybrid: The Results
May 27, 2008
2008 Formula Hybrid International Competition
April 29, 2008
Inductor technology provides key benefits for power products
March 28, 2007
Announcing a new inductor technology
West Coast Magnetics
February 1, 2007
Powering Down - Thayer team develops energy-saving device
VOX of Dartmouth
April 4, 2005
EPA Reveals Energy Efficiency Contest Winners at APEC
March 9, 2005
New De-icing Technology
April 12, 2001
In Dartmouth Engineer Magazine
Power Players: Professors Charles Sullivan and Jason Stauth are brightening the future of solar energy.
Innovations: Formula Hybrid Races Ahead
Lab Reports: More Power, Less Money
Lab Reports: Inductor Efficiency
Investiture: Class of 2005