Stephen G. Powell
- B.A. (High Honors), Economics, Oberlin College 1971
- M.S., Engineering-Economic Systems, Stanford University 1976
- Ph.D., Engineering-Economic Systems, Stanford University 1983
Management science; operations management; business modeling and simulation; novice modeling of unstructured problems; spreadsheet engineering; sensitivity analysis
- Management Science, The Art of Modeling with Spreadsheets, (with Ken Baker), 3rd edition, John Wiley, 2010.
- "A Comparison of Spreadsheet Users with Different Levels of Experience," with Ken Baker, Barry Lawson, and Lynn Foster-Johnson, Omega 37, 579-590, 2009.
- “Errors in Operational Spreadsheets,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Journal of End User and Organizational Computing, 21(3), 24-36, July-September 2009.
- “Impacts of Errors in Operational Spreadsheets,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Decision Support Systems, 47(2), 126-132, 2009.
- Modeling for Insight: A Master Class for Business Modelers, (with Bob Batt), John Wiley, 2008.
- “A Critical Review of the Literature on Spreadsheet Errors,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Decision Support Systems, 46;128–138, 2008.
- “An Auditing Protocol for Spreadsheet Models,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Information and Management, 45(5); 312-320, 2008.
- “How Novices Formulate Models Part I: Qualitative Insights and Implications for Teaching,” with Tom Willemain, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 58, 983-995, 2007.
- “How Novices Formulate Models Part II: A Quantitative Description of Behavior,” with Tom Willemain, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 58, 1271-1283, 2007.
- Award for the Teaching of OR/MS Practice, Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS), 2001
- Faculty Affiliate, Glassmeyer/McNamee Center for Digital Strategies, Tuck School, 2001–present
- Academic Director, INFORMS Workshop on Teaching of Management Science
- Senior Strategic Analyst, Wang Laboratories, 1983–85
- Senior Operations Research Analyst, RCA, 1985–86
- Senior Management Science Analyst, Merrill Lynch, 1986–87